Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
DALLAS CONVENTION & VISITORS BUREAU
May 2, 2016 | 4-6 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER AND WELCOME
President Frank Librio called the meeting to order at 4:19 p.m.
Board Members Present:
Frank Librio, Ed Bark, Cary Broussard, Scott Goldstein, Stephanie Lucero, John “Doc” Strange, Niki McCuistion, Deborah Fleck, Denita Lacking-Quinn, Michael Grant
ITEMS FOR APPROVAL:
Approval of Minutes: April 5, 2016
- Motion: A motion to approve the minutes of April 5, 2016 was made by Ed Bark and seconded by Niki McCuistion). Motion carried.
Approval of Financials:
- Motion: A motion to approve the financial report was made by Denita Lacking-Quinn and seconded by Ed Bark. Motion carried.
Governance Committee Report:
Niki McCuistion is arranging for a Governance Policy class training for the Board of Directors and will report back on dates for that training.
- Motion: A motion to approve Scott Goldstein as chair of the BOD nominating committee with the following committee members: Niki McCuistion, Hugh Aynesworth and Ed Bark for BOD positions was made by Frank Librio and seconded by John “Doc” Strange.
- The nominating committee will meet and provide slate to membership June 6-July 1
Other Committee Reports:
Membership Committee: Deborah Fleck, Chair
- 151 current members reported. Membership drive continues.
- Stephanie Lucero requested attendee list from Schieffer event so she and Deb could follow up re: membership recruitment. There were 3 or 4 students 2 media and 1 public relations executive who joined as a result of the Schieffer event.
- Stephanie and Deb are pricing out the costs of a PCD membership card.
Marketing Committee, Chair Michael Grant
- Provided marketing/public relations committee report.
- Monthly newsletter continues to make a positive impact.
- Frank Librio updated BOD that Edward Johnson of FME Creative is proposing $200 month to keep the website updated. His fee would come out of the existing administrative budget that we currently spend monthly. Board will discuss at next meeting and vote.
Bob Schieffer Event & Excellence in Journalism Awards Update
- Frank Librio confirmed that the Schieffer event generated and reached the estimated revenues, so that the Press Club of Dallas was able to donate $10,000 to Texas Christian University in Bob Schieffer’s name, designated for journalism scholarships with the remainder of net profits designated for Press Club operating funds.
- Cary Broussard and Hugh Aynesworth, co-chairs of the Excellence in Journalism awards provided an update on the upcoming June 9th Awards event to be held at the Sixth Floor Museum. Cary asked for volunteers to manage certain aspects of the event. Sam Lopez agreed to produce the Powerpoint needed. Ed Bark agreed to provide the script for the emcee, Kristi Nelson. Niki McCuisition to provide videographer, and Doc Strange to provide photographer. Stephanie Lucero and Deb Fleck agreed to provide membership materials and staff the check in desk.
- Cary reviewed the sponsorship package for the Excellence in Journalism Awards. Broussard Global, the McCuistion Group and an Anonymous donor agreed to be sponsors of the Excellence in Journalism Awards event. The Board members agreed to find additional sponsors to the best of their abilities.
- Lauren Finegan provided an updated to the Board of Directors on space rental for Press Club of Dallas office, to be housed at the DEC (Dallas Entrepreneurial Center). Board members Ed Bark, Michael Grant and Cary Broussard conducted a walk through of space with Lauren prior to the BOD meeting, and confirmed the space and conference room would be sufficient for the BOD’s needs. Frank to review the other benefits provided to the PCD per Lauren in exchange for renting space and get back to the BOD with a recommendation.
There being no other business, the meeting adjourned at 5:55 p.m.
Cary Broussard – Board Secretary
June 3, 2016