Happy January! We are reaching out to let you know about scholarships that are available for current college students who are pursuing a degree in the communications field.
The Press Club Foundation Scholarship Fund awards one or more one-year scholarships up to a total of $5,000 to current college students who have graduated from a high school in the DFW Metroplex, completed at least 45 hours of collegiate coursework, and are currently pursuing a college degree in the communications field, to include print and broadcast journalism, public relations and advertising.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MAY 1, 2018
TO APPLY: Go to https://cftexas.academicworks.com/ and click on “Sign up” at the top right of the page to create your login and password. Complete the General Application, then select “Press Club of Dallas Foundation Scholarship” and answer the additional questions. For more information, please contact Katie Kuehl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additionally, here are a couple of events that we think you might be interested in attending:
- EXXONMOBIL LECTURE SERIES AT SMU PRESENTS “NAVIGATING THE BELIEF ECONOMY” FEATURING DAVID BALDWIN, FEBRUARY 6
Award-winning advertising executive, filmmaker and author to discuss how brands must address customers’ beliefs and ethical concerns. David Baldwin, award-winning founder of advertising agency “Baldwin&,” filmmaker and author of the acclaimed new book The Belief Economy: How to Give a Damn, Stop Selling, and Create Buy In, will be the guest speaker for the 2018 ExxonMobil Lecture on advertising, media and communication ethics, sponsored by the Temerlin Advertising Institute at SMU’s Meadows School of the Arts. Baldwin will present “Navigating the Belief Economy” at 7 p.m. Tuesday, February 6at the Angelika Film Center, 5321 East Mockingbird Lane in Mockingbird Station, Dallas (75206), followed by a Q&A. A reception and networking event will be held beforehand in the Angelika lobby from 6 to 7 p.m. The event is free, but reservations are requested via Eventbrite. For more information, please call the Temerlin Advertising Institute at 214-768-1878.
- Training opportunities with ONA Macon: The first trainings organized through the ONA Local Speakers Bureau are coming to Macon, Georgia, this week. Samantha Ragland, Manager of Digital Entertainment Strategy at The Palm Beach Post, will lead a workshop on cross-platform storytelling on Friday, Jan. 19, and share tips for the transition from college to the journalism job market on Saturday, Jan. 20.
- Supporting inclusive mentorship programs: The Journalism Mentorship Collaborative is a network of newsrooms committed to diversifying their organizations through mentorship opportunities. The Collaborative includes a chance for 15-25 news professionals to receive funding for their mentorship program, in-person training and access to an expert coach. Apply for funding by Feb. 2.
- ONA Local groups regularly host events and meetups for digital journalists all over the world. Find a group near you or get in touch if you’re interested in starting an ONA Local group. Jobs for journalists: Whether you’re focused on getting a new job right now or just interested in seeing what opportunities are out there, ONA’s Career Center is an excellent resource for journalism jobs. It’s free for job seekers to browse. Recent postings include:
- ONA St. Louis: Digital Tools Show & Tell, Jan. 18
- ONA SF: Journalists with Drinks, Jan. 18
- ONA Montreal: Cheers to 2018!, Jan. 18 Just announced!
- ONA Macon: Cross-platform Storytelling Workshop, Jan. 19 Just announced!
- ONA Macon: Get hired! Tips on resume sparkle, your digital presence and acing the interview, Jan. 20 Just announced!
- ONA NYC: Nerding Out on Newsletters, Jan. 23 (Sold out!)
- ONA Northeast Ohio: Podcasting Local for Newsrooms, Jan. 24
- ONA Western New England Online Event: Social Media Safety Skills Slack Chat, Jan. 25
- ONA Dallas/Fort Worth: Tour and Happy Hour at The Dallas Morning News, Jan. 25
- ONA DC: Design Thinking for Journalists with SND, Jan. 27
- ONA Salt Lake City: How to Find Newsworthy Images on Social Media (not the ones of sharks swimming in floodwaters), Jan. 27
- Online Event: ONA Local New Group Leader Orientation, Feb. 6
- ONA Reno: Learn & Burn: Creating a process for testing, adopting new tools and technology, Feb. 13 Just announced!
- ONA San Diego: How to Find Newsworthy Images on Social Media, Mar. 3
- Ted Scripps Fellowships in Environmental Journalism, Center for Environmental Journalism at the University of Colorado Boulder
- Media Bistro Presents:
- Why do your pitches keep getting rejected? You probably don’t have enough deep-fried turkeys, fireball explosions, or pyromaniac firefighters. Duh! “This American Life” producer Stephanie Foo shares an actual story pitch she wrote, and explains how and why it worked in this smokin’ hot Twitter thread.
- GOOOOOAAALLLLLLL!!! AHHH goals! What are they? How do I make them? Why do soccer teams keep scoring them? Hustle Fest creator Jillian Richardson helps you figure out your deal and set goals accordingly. It’s just six steps that sound easy but require some deep, scary soul-searching. You can do it! We believe in you.
- NEW JOB OPENINGS
- Manager Marketing Communications and Creative Strategy
- Verizon, New York, New York
- Senior Designer, Random House, Penguin Random House, New York, New York
- Hardware Writer/ Reviewer
- PCMag , New York City, New York
- Freelance Editorial Designer
- Vanity Fair, New York City, New York (US)
- Senior Reporter – Employee Benefits
- Portfolio Media, Inc., New York, New York
- See all new jobs >
President, Press Club of Dallas, serving North Texas
Bring more Trust, Truth and Transparency into your life. The Press Club of Dallas is a tax-exempt, 501(c)(3) organization. For more information go to www.pressclubdallas.com, email us at email@example.com, or call 214-269-4244 with any questions you may have.