North Texas Legends Awards 2016
The Press Club of Dallas Presents:
6th Annual North Texas Legends Induction
The public is invited to meet and mingle with selected journalists who will receive the Press Club of Dallas Excellence in Journalism Awards – North Texas Legends, sponsored by Press Club of Dallas and the Sixth Floor Museum.
“The thirteen journalists, nominated by the Press Club membership, are the cream of the crop,“ according to Frank Librio, president of the Press Club of Dallas. “We honor each of these “legends” for their amazing accomplishments and relish the stories of these award-winning journalists.”
The judges are comprised of “Legend” award winners, and veteran Press Club members. Each winner is required to have worked in the Dallas/Ft. Worth region in the news media market for at least ten years, and currently reside in Texas.
2016 honorees include:
- Norma Adams-Wade, reporter, The Dallas Morning News
- Fil Alvarado, reporter, Fox 4 News
- Sandra Brown, author of 80 books
- Steve Blow, reporter, Dallas Morning News, retired
- David Finfrock, chief meteorologist, NBC5
- Randy Galloway, sports writer, Fort Worth Star Telegram, retired
- Jeff Guinn, author and former editor, Fort Worth Star Telegram
- JoAnn Holt, journalist, The Oak Cliff Tribune, Car Lady News
- Sylvia Komatsu, EVP, chief content officer, KERA, KXT
- John McCaa, anchor/reporter, WFAA-TV Channel 8
- Bob Phillips, reporter/producer Texas Country Reporter
- Mike Rhyner, radio host, The Hardliner
- David Webb, reporter, The Dallas Voice
Returning for a second year as the event emcee, is Kristi Nelson, news anchor for NBC 5. Hugh Aynesworth and Cary Broussard, both Press Club of Dallas Board members, are co-chairs of the June 9th event. Judges included: Ed Bark, Rena Pederson, and Hugh Aynesworth.
Net proceeds from the event will benefit the mission of the Press Club of Dallas providing scholarships for students to Texas colleges and universities and supporting the operations of the Press Club.
Past winners include:
- 2015 winners: Helen Bryant Anders, B.J. Austin, Sam Blair, Becky Munoz-Diaz, Mollie Finch-Belt, Dan Jenkins, David McHam, Bob Mong, Robert Moore, George Riba, Bob Ray Sanders, Brad Sham, Clarice Tinsley
- 2014 winners: John Anders, Gloria Campos, Iola Johnson, Judy Jordan, John Miller, Scott Murray, Darwin Payne, Walter Robertson, Tracy Rowlett, Cissy Stewart and Bob Welch
- 2013 winners: Carolyn Barta, Eddie Barker, Kent Biffle, Clarence Bruyere, Alex Burton, Al Carrell, Vivian Castleberry, Ron Chapman, Mike Cochran, Bob Compton, Lee Cullum and Jimmy Darnell
- 2012 winners: Troy Dungan, Bill Evans, Jim Ewell, Dottie Griffith, John Gudiohnsen, Jim Henderson, Lana Henderson, Bert Holmes, Helen Holmes, Bob Huffaker, Suzy Humphries, Will Jarrett, Shelly Katz, Joe Laird, and Ralph Langer
- 2011 winners: Jimmy Lovell, Frank Luksa, Phil Magers, Bill Mercer, Bob Miller, Burl Osborne, Rena Pederson, Bob Porter, Bob St. John, Blackie Sherrod, Bert Shipp, Carlton Stowers, Dick Wheeler, Wes Wise, Bobbie Wygant, Tony Zoppi, Hugh Aynesworth and Karen Hughes
Each year, it is with great pleasure that the Press Club of Dallas selects the best in journalism to join our elite Hall of Fame. Each honoree’s body of work is respected, makes a difference in our community, and rises to the level of excellence.
See which journalists will join a list of esteemed colleagues who have been judged worthy of this award. Our judging panel consists professionals in the field who look for both excellence and innovation. The honoree clearly qualify on both fronts.